FLYING CRITERIA... SOME FACTS YOU SHOULD
FREEDOM FLIGHT MISSION
Upon your request we would love
to be a part of your next event. Freedom Flight, Inc. is a 5013c non-profit educational
corporation that seeks to honor and increase the awareness of the P.O.W. - M.I.A.
issue by using Hot Air Balloons. Our organization is made up entirely of volunteers
who give their time, talent and money to keep the three balloons flying at different
events across the United States and the world.
- Best flying weather conditions are
wind speeds of less than 10 miles per hour.
- The balloon cannot fly in wind speeds
of more than 10 miles per hour.
- The balloon cannot fly in rain, fog,
or during snowfall.
- During the summer, THE BALLOON CANNOT
FREE FLY OR TETHER BETWEEN 9 AM AND 6 PM (or when the sun is more than 40 degrees
above the horizon) due to heat thermal, wind, and other conditions that pose a safety
threat. (The decision to fly is made by the Pilot in Command.)
- Tether operations must be done when
winds are calm, LESS THAN 5-MILES PER HOUR. The site must be a minimum area
of 250' by 250', free of power lines, light poles, fences, etc.
- Ground cover must be grassy (short) NO GRAVEL, NO PARKINGLOT TETHERS will be done
due to potential damage to Balloon envelope and basket. We will need a minimum
of three cars or trucks with the key in them and with a ball hitch to tie off to.
- The Freedom Flight II, III & IV
Balloons will not fly should there be any possibility of jeopardizing the safety of
the pilot, passengers, crew and or equipment. The decision to fly is made by
the Pilot in Command for the event and is based on several conditions. First the aviation
weather reports. This indicates actual weather as to visibility, wind speed, clouds,
rain, snow, etc. as reported from airports across the region. The second report
is updated hourly, plus a twelve-hour forecast indicating wind speed and direction
up to 10,000 feet, which is updated three times a day. These weather reports
give us he best advance knowledge possible. Last but not least it is the Pilot's
PROMOTING YOUR EVENT
The most important words in
promoting a balloon event are "WEATHER PERMITTING." Use this phrase in ALL promotional
material! Include the Freedom Flight Hot Air Balloon logo and event information
in all advertising one to two weeks prior to the event. Television footage of
the Freedom Flight Hot Air Balloon is available from Freedom Flight for use in local
television commercials to promote the event.
Events covered by the media should be
targeted for balloon promotion because the balloon is especially attractive to the
camera lens. Both print photographers and television camera people are usually
attracted to the balloon. Coverage of the Freedom Flight Balloon in the local
press or television is extremely valuable for local recognition and to help spread
the message that our POWs & MIAs are not forgotten. Invite local reporters.
PRE EVENT CHECKLIST
- Inform local newspapers and media about
your upcoming event.
- Schedule activities. Depending
on the nature of your event, you will need to schedule 4-8 volunteers.
- Collect donation money.
- Face paint/distribute POW-MIA stickers.
- Blow up & distribute helium balloons.
- Consider a contest for the day of the
event. Arrange to bring a fishbowl or box to collect names. Prizes to
consider: T-shirts, Hats, Pins, Patches, Flags, etc.
- Keep Freedom Flight informed of what
you are doing. Send us copies of any press or media contact you make.
- Include announcements about your upcoming
event in your ads prior to the event: for example "The Freedom Flight Hot Air
Balloon will be flying at _____________________. See you there!
- Contact your Pilot to confirm all details.
- Hint: make it an ice-cream social or
hot dog roast. (Tie-in with sponsors such as TCBY or Dairy Queen.)
ON-SITE DAY-OF-EVENT CHECKLIST
- Arrive at least 1 hour prior to event
- Take candid photos of crowd and event.
- Crowd control in line waiting for rides.
- Assist passengers in and out of balloon
- Set-up signage, directional posters.
- Set-up table for money collection.
Set-up a fishbowl for contest, etc.
- Along with the Pilot, coordinate your
balloon crew and volunteers.
- We will need 2 people to help sell
Freedom Flight merchandise. (Pins, Hats, Shirts etc.)
- We will need 4-5 people to help to
work with the balloon flight and several more if tether rides are given.
IN ORDER FOR US TO PARTICIPATE, WE MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MET
- A $500 donation deposit per balloon
to lock in the dates and will cover up to 3 days for either free flight and/or a tethered
- Flying the balloon is a “Fair Weather”
activity. (Please refer to Flying Criteria)
- Weather & other flying conditions
must be favorable & safe as determined by the Pilot in Command.
- The fee agreed upon must be paid if
we fly or not. Fees may be negotiated for shorter or longer events.
- Donations are tax deductible under
the IRS guidelines regarding our non-profit status as a 501-c3 organization.
- Hotel/Motel accommodations for a minimum
of two people (pilot & crew) for the duration of the event.
- Propane. (Normally arrive full
- Leave full except when air or ground freight then arrive empty and leave empty)
- Crew, usually need an extra 3-5 able-bodied
people and chase vehicle.
- Round trip mileage of $.45 per mile
and/or airfare for Pilot & Crew.
- To help defray their expenses we ask
for $25 per/day Per Diem each for the Pilot & Crew members.
- If your event requires we fly in via
airlines because of the distance we can either truck or air freight the balloon out
but will need extra time allowed for traveling.
- Also, with your permission we would
like to solicit donations for the upkeep of our balloons through balloon related merchandise.
(P.O.W.-M.I.A. Balloon Hats, Shirts, Pins, etc.)
If you have any questions, or to make
arrangements for your event please contact our Founder and Event Coordinator, Jim
Tuorlia at E-MAIL email@example.com or (320)
252-7208 (Home) or (320) 255-6480 ext. 6205 or FAX (320) 255-6472
<-- Back to Home
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN FREEDOM FLIGHT!
Luke Cesnik, President & Pilot, firstname.lastname@example.org
Inc., P.O. Box 1052, St.Cloud, MN USA 56302-1052, Tele: 1-320-654-1156